BE INTENTIONAL WITH YOUR LIFE AND YOUR MONEY
How do you get the best out of yourself and others? You pour into yourself. You pour into others. Read. Write. Converse. Think. Be in nature. Be present. Meditate. Sounds easy enough. I get that it isn’t. However, we can pay attention to what we are doing and be aware of how we are spending our time and our money.
The numbers are in and they aren’t pretty
According to the A.C. Nielsen Co., the average American watches more than 4 hours of TV each day (or 28 hours/week, or 2 months of nonstop TV-watching per year). In a 65-year life, that person will have spent 9 years glued to the tube.
A study done by Fidelity (click here for the study) reports that more than half (55%) of respondents retirement preparedness either need more attention or are in fair shape, and may face a shortfall covering essential expenses in retirement. WHAT?
Research proves we need to talk
According to Brene Brown, author of The Gifts of Imperfection, “We are the most obese, medicated, addicted, and in-debt Americans EVER. Why? We have more access to information, more books, and more good science—why are we struggling like never before? Because we don’t TALK about the things that get in the way of doing what we know is best for us, our children, our families, our organizations, and our communities.”
We need to take time to think about our lives. We need to take the time to prioritize our lives. We need to figure out where we want to go, what kind of lives we want to have and then do nothing that doesn’t support getting there. Period.
Now, as always, life can be messy and not every day will be a home run. However, when we just go through our lives, we completely miss the point. I read a quote that said, “Don’t live the same year 75 times over.” WOW.
Here are a 5 tips on how to practice being more intentional with your life:
- Identify what you want. Happiness. Joy. Peace. Financial independence. A home. A mate. A family. A cat. A successful business.
- Write it down. Make it plain on paper. Think Mission Statement for your LIFE!!!
- Think about it. What would your life be like if you had what it is that you think you want? Connect with those feelings and say, “every day I’m getting closer to my desires.”
- Be intentional with your time. Every day think about what you have to do during the day and then think about what is going to get you closer to the life you want and what is just wasting time. There is power in saying “no”.
- Make a plan. We have the amazing internet where there is so much information that it could be overwhelming. However, it could also be useful. If it is finances that you need to get in order, spend time learning about finances. Practice getting into the areas of your life than need your attention.
Now if you are saying “Karen, what does being intentional have to do with my finances?” Everything Young Skywalker, EVERYTHING! There is a saying that I just love “if you don’t know where you are going, any road will take you there.” Know where you are going. BE INTENTIONAL WITH YOUR LIFE. Did that sound like shouting? I didn’t mean for it to sound like shouting. Just passionate. I really want you to be intentional about your life because you’re worth it.